Paddu comes in many flavors – sweet, spicy or masala as in the current Paddu recipe and the regular one prepared out of regular Dosa batter. Many at home, specially the younger ones, prefer Paddu/Paniyaram over Dosa and I know many people who prepare it when they have prepared Dosa the previous day and have enough left over batter in the refrigerator.
People love it when Paddu is crispy and hot. Add spice/masala to it and you have a winner. Do have a look at Sweet Paddu/Paniyaram recipe posted by me earlier to see a variant of Paddu. Then there is also the regular Paddu/Paniyaram that I more often prepare.
Paddu is known by various names like Appe, Guliappa, Paniyaram, Gulittu, Gundponglu, Gunta Pangana, Gunta Pongadalu etc. in Southern parts of India. In Karnataka, we know it by name Guliappa or Paddu.
- Dosa Rice – 1 cup
- Urad Dal / White Lentils – 1/4 cup
- Bengal Gram / Channa Dal – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds / Dhaniya – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 5-6
- Curry Leaves – 8-10
- Finely chopped Onion – 1
How to Prepare:
- Soak Dosa Rice, Urad Dal/White Lentils, Bengal Gram/Channa Dal, Fenugreek Seeds/Methi in water for 4-5 hours.
- Grind soaked ingredients with Cumin Seeds/Jeera, Coriander Seeds/Dhaniya, Red Chillies, Curry Leaves and Salt with water in a mixer grinder to a smooth paste like you would for Dosa or Paddu batter.
- Finally add finely chopped Onions to this batter and leave the batter to ferment overnight or atleast for 4-5 hours. Now the Paddu/Paniyaram Batter is ready as in the image below.
- Heat the Paddu/Paniyaram Pan and grease all moulds with oil. Now slowly pour the batter into each of the moulds with the help of ladle/table spoon. For best results, the Paddu batter should be filled to almost 3/4 of the mould as shown in image below.
- Reduce the heat to medium and leave the batter to cook well for 3 minutes by closing the lid. Do not close the lid while cooking if you need the Paddu/Paniyaram to be crispy (preferred by many) . Once cooked on one side, flip the Paddu over to the other side and cook the other side in low flame for 2 min while you pour a little oil into the mould again as required. Once cooked on both sides, remove the cooked Paddu/Paniyaram from the pan.
Serve Spicy Paddu/Paniyaram hot with Coconut Chutney or Chutney Powder.