I usually prepare only the Snake Gourd Curry for Chapatis/Phulka without adding Peas. But this time I just tried adding Peas to give more taste to the Curry. One can skip adding the Peas if it is not available and prepare just a simple Snake Gourd Curry using the same steps described below. This Snake Gourd Peas Curry is an easy preparation with very few steps and with less ingredients. Below I have explained 2 methods of preparation – one involving cooking vegetables in pressure cooker and alternate way is to add the fresh chopped Snake Gourd and Peas directly to the cooking pan after seasoning and ensuring that the vegetables are cooked in the pan itself by closing the lid. I usually prepare this Curry with the help of pressure cooker; this method is easier for me – takes less time to cook the chopped Snake Gourd and Peas.
To talk about health benefits of Snake Gourd, it is considered beneficial for heart. It is fibrous, low calorie vegetable and a good source of Calcium and Phosphorus. It has good amount of moisture content, it helps trigger production of body fluids, reduce sweating, contain dryness and body heat. It’s great to know that Snake Gourd has been used to treat diabetes.
Snake Gourd Peas Curry Ingredients:
- Chopped Snake Gourd or Padawalkai- 2 Cups
- Green Peas – 1/2 Cup
- Green Chillies – 2 slit lengthwise
- Grated Coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 5-8
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
Preparation Time : 20 min
How to Make Snake Gourd Peas Curry :
- Cook chopped Snake Gourd and Peas in pressure cooker by adding sufficient water and 1/4 tsp Turmeric until you hear 2 cooker whistles. Once the cooker pressure eases, remove the cooked vegetables from the cooker and keep them ready for seasoning below. Instead of cooking in pressure cooker, you may also cook the vegetables directly in the pan after the initial seasoning is completed as explained in Step 4 below.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds, once the seeds splutter, add Urad Dal and fry for a minute. Then add Curry Leaves, Green Chillies and fry for a minute.
- Now add the pressure cooked Peas and Snake Gourd with little water used for cooking vegtetables in Step 1. Add Grated Coconut, Salt and Jaggery and mix well. Cook for 10 more minutes or until the water content in the pan disappears.
- The other method without using pressure cooker: After Green Chillies are added to the pan in Step 2, add the Chopped Snake Gourd, Peas and Turmeric to the pan and add water and close the lid and cook till the Snake Gourd and Peas turn soft. Once cooked, add Coconut, Salt and Jaggery and mix well.
Now the Snake Gourd Peas Curry is ready to serve with Chapati or Roti.