The recipe for Sabakki Vada/Sago Patties was told over phone by my friend Seema and I just tried this appetizer/snack for the first time. You can see that the Vada looks quite tempting and it tasted really good.
Vada/Patty Ingredients :
- Sago or Sabudana/Sabakki – 1 cup
- Potatoes – 2 Large sized
- Roasted Peanut powder – 2 Tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Curd / Yoghurt – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1 tsp
- Oil to fry
How to Prepare:
1) Wash Sabudana and drain out the water from it. Keep the washed Sabudana aside in a vessel for about 1 hr 30 min. This helps Sabudana turn soft. Do not try to soak Sabudana/Sabakki in water to soften it. This makes it turn into a paste.
2) Wash the Potatoes and cook them until they become soft. Peel out the skin from the Potatoes, mash them and keep aside.
3) Roast the peanuts and grind it in a mixer grinder and keep the powder ready.
4) Once the Sabudana has turned soft (Step 1) : In a mixing bowl, have mashed Potatoes, Sabudana, roasted Peanut powder, Curd, Red Chilli powder, Jeera, Salt and mix well. Do mix to obtain a thick dough. If you feel that the dough is too soft, add peanut powder to make thicker. A softer dough can make the Vada to crack while frying in oil making frying Vada difficult with a messy oil.
5) Now take a small lemon sized ball of dough and press with hand to obtain round shape like that of a Vada shown in the image. See that the sides of Vada is properly pressed to obtain the right shape.
6) Heat oil in a frying pan, place the dough balls into the heated oil to fry in the pan. Deep fry in medium flame to ensure that Sabudana Vada/Sago Patty is cooked sufficiently.
Sabudana/Sabakki Vada is now ready. Serve this appetizer with Tomato sauce.
I tried this first time and it turned out superb. By seeing the picture itself one feels like trying out this appetizer/snack.
Note: You may use Green Chillies instead of Red Chilli powder.