Khichidi is prepared in many varieties by adding different ingredients. Even the South Indian style Pongal is also called as Khichidi. Each state of India has its own style of preparing the Khichidi. In Maharashtra they prepare Khichidi using Sago or Sabudana. Here I am posting Rajasthani Kichidi.
Rajasthani Khichidi is very simple among all the rice recipes and very tasty too. If you have all the ingredients in hand, it is very easy to prepare this dish.
Preparation is very simple. Soak the Split Green Gram and Rice separately. You need to just fry and adding other ingredients to Oil in the cooker container. Mix well, and also add the correct quantity of water and salt to it. Pressure cook this for 3 to 4 whistles and release it. Add the fried onion and mix it well. Now the Rajasthani Khichidi is ready to serve. It can be served with Raita also.
- Split Green Gram or Moong Gram – 1 Cup
- Rice – 1 Cup
- Jeera Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Big Cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon – 2 pieces
- Ginger finely chopped – 3/4 Tbsp
- Onion chopped – 2
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – 6 Cups
Preparation Time: 20 min
Standing Time: 1/2 an hour to 1 hour
How to Make Rajastani Khichidi :
- Wash and soak the Rice, Split Gram separately in bowls for 1/2 an hour to 1 hour.
- Heat 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of Oil in a cooker container, add Jeera, Big Cardamom, Cinnamon and fry for few minutes.
- Now add chopped Ginger, Garam Masala, Chilli Powder and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- At this stage add soaked Rice, Split Green Gram and mix everything once with a ladle. Fry all these ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Now add 6 cups of Water and Salt in to the cooker container. Mix well once.
- Close the lid. Keep it for pressure cooking for about 3 to 4 whistles. After that, allow it to release the pressure for few minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining Oil in a small frying pan, add the chopped Onions and fry until the onion becomes transparent with slight colour changes.
- Now add the fried Onion to the Rajasthani Kichidi and mix well. Khichidi should be watery, if it is too thick add little hot water and mix well.
You can serve Rajasthani Khichidi as it is or with Tomato, Onion and Cucumber Raita.
- It is best to use the Big Cardamom to get the perfect taste.
- Always use split gram to prepare Rajasthani Khichidi.