We usually consume the Radish by preparing Raithas, Sambar, Radish Curry or use it in Parathas to prepare Radish or Mooli Paratha. Most throw the Radish leaves or the “Radish Greens”. Most are not even aware that Radish leaves are edible and recipes made out of Radish Leaves can actually can taste quite good.
To talk about health benefits of Radish Leaves or Greens, they are a good source of Vitamin C, Calcium and can help treat Jaundice. My mother always prepared Radish Leaves Salad as side-dish for Jowar Roti or for Chapati. One can also consume this as is as a healthy Salad. So, I took this Radish Leaves Salad recipe from my mother. For this Salad, you will have to add the Tender Cucumber and crushed (or coarsely powdered) Roasted Bengal Gram also known as Hurigadale or Kadale Pappu. These two ingredients provide good taste to the Salad.
If you become interested in this recipe, also checkout this neatly compiled Radish Leaves Salad recipe.
Radish Leaves Greens Salad Ingredients:
- Fresh Radish Greens or Radish Leaves – 2 and 1/2 Cups
- Onion – 1/2 Cup or 1 small Onion
- Tender Cucumber – 1/2 Cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Crushed or Coarsely powdered Roasted Bengal Gram or Hurigadale/Kadale Pappu – 1/4 Cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp
Oggarane or Seasoning Ingredients :
- Sunflower Oil or Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal or White Lentils – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli – 1 broken
- Curry leaves
Time to Prepare : 10 min
How to Make Radish Leaves Greens Salad :
- Finely chop with a knife the Onions, Radish Greens or Radish Leaves and Cucumber. Have the Coconut grated as well.
- To a mixing bowl, transfer the finely chopped Radish Greens or Radish leaves along with the other ingredients like Chopped Onions, Chopped Tender Cucumber, Grated Coconut, roughly powdered Roasted Bengal Gram, Salt and Lemon Juice. Mix all these ingredients properly with the help of spatula.
- Seasoning/Tempering: Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the Mustard Seeds splutter, add Urad Dal, broken Red Chillies and Curry leaves to the frying pan. Fry for just a minute or two until the Urad Dal or White Lentils turn light brown.
- Pour the above seasoning into salad bowl (Step 2) and mix well the entire set of ingredients with the spatula.
Radish Leaves Salad is now ready. Serve Radish Leaves or Greens salad with Chapati, Jawar Roti, Talipattu or with non-stuffed Parathas. Else, consume it like any normal Salad without anything accompanying it.
1. Instead of chopping Cucumber, one can grate it as in the below image.