The secret of Pav Bhaji recipe lies in getting the right quality bread from the store. Being in Bangalore, I often get really good Pavs from Nilgiris store. If you follow my recipe for Bhaji below, my experience has been that the Bhaji comes out really nice and yummy.
I have always use MDH Pav Bhaji Masala available in the retail stores to prepare Bhaji and it has worked out quite well for me.
Also check my Vada Pav recipe.
Pav Bhaji Ingredients:
- Pav – 8 ( 2 Pav in a single row)
- Potatoes big sized – 2
- Onions medium sized – 2
- Tomatoes big sized – 2
- Dry Peas or Frozen Peas – 3/4 cup
- Ginger + Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala powder – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds or Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves
- Lemon – 1
- Butter – 4 tsp
Time to Prepare: 20-30 mins
How to Make Pav Bhaji :
- Soak the dry Peas in a water overnight. Next day pressure cook the soaked Peas and Potatoes in a cooker for 3-4 whistles with a pinch of Salt.
- Mash the cooked Peas and keep aside. Remove the skin of the Potatoes and mash it when it is hot and keep aside. Note: If you are using frozen Peas just soak it in a hot water for 5 min and then mash it, but I prefer the dried Peas especially for this Bhaji, it gives more taste than that of frozen peas.
- Chop one of the two Onions and one Tomato into cube sized slices. Cut other Tomato and blend it in a mixer grinder and prepare Tomato puree.
- Chop the other onion into small pieces. Chop Coriander leaves and mix it with chopped Onion. Keep aside.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add Cumin seeds. Then add chopped Onions and fry for a minute.
- Once the Onion starts to look a bit transparent, add Ginger + Garlic paste and fry for a minute more. Now add chopped Tomatoes and fry until the Tomatoes are done.
- At this stage, add Tomato puree and cook all together for 2-3 min. Then add mashed Potatoes and Peas from Step 2 and mix them properly. Add half cup of water to it and cook for another 5 min.
- Then add Red Chilli Powder, Pav Bhaji Masala, Salt and Sugar. Cook for 5 min and remove from the flame. If you find the Gravy to be thicker than usual, then you can add half cup of water when the Bhaji is boiling. Now the Bhaji is ready.
- Heat Tawa, cut the Pav into 2 pieces. Spread 1 tsp of butter to each Pav. Roast the Pav both the sides on the heated Tawa.
How to serve Pav Bhaji:
In a serving plate, have 2 roasted Pavs with about 3 Tbsp of Bhaji on the side. Sprinkle some chopped Onions mixed with Coriander leaves (from Step 4 above) on Bhaji and keep 1/4 cut Lemon to be used with Bhaji.