Paneer Korma/Kurma can be an excellent side dish for Chapati/Roti/Naan. Korma curries have unique taste involving Kaju/Cashew Nut paste or alternately, the Coconut paste. I did prepare Paneer Korma with Coconut and Poppy seeds/Khus-Khus paste.
It is said that Kormas became popular during Mughal period, specially during the Akbar rule. You can make varieties of Korma/Kurma curries – Vegetable Korma/Kurma prepared with multiple vegetables or the popular Navarathan Korma/Kurma which you can prepare with fruits are just two examples.
We had Paneer Korma/Kurma with Chapati for dinner and loved the great taste of this relatively simple dish. Try it out for yourself and let me know how it fares in making a tasty meal.
Paneer Korma/Kurma Ingredients:
- Paneer or Cottage Cheese – 100 gms
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green Chillies – 2
- Ginger + Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kitchen King Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 7-8
- Coriander Leaves/Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Fresh Cream – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup or Kaju/Cashew Nuts – 9-10
- Poppy Seeds/Khus-Khus – 1 tsp
Time to Make: 30 min
How to Prepare:
- Chop the Onion into small pieces and Tomato into cube sized pieces. Cut the Paneer also into small cube sized pieces.
- Grind the Grated Coconut or Cashew Nuts with Poppy seeds with 1/4 cup of water in a mixer grinder to a smooth paste. As I said earlier, Coconut paste is a regular ingredient for Korma/Kurma and if you like, you can replace Coconut with Kaju/Cashew Nut paste to prepare the Korma/Kurma.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Green Chillies, Curry Leaves, chopped Onion, Ginger + Garlic Paste and fry for 2-3 minutes or until the Onion pieces start to look transparent.
- Then add Turmeric Powder, chopped Tomato, Red Chilli Powder, Paneer and Salt and cook them all for approximately 4 minutes. Keep stirring all the ingredients so that the Masala ingredients blend well with Paneer/Cottage Cheese and the Paneer pieces acquire the spicy taste.
- Now add the ground Coconut or Kaju paste from step 2 to the pan with 1/2 cup of water and cook the pan contents for 5 minutes.
- At this stage, add Garam Masala and Kitchen King Masala Powder to the above mixture and cook Korma/Kurma gravy for 2 more minutes.
- Now finally add Fresh Cream to the pan and stir once. Remove from the flame.
- Garnish with Coriander Leaves/Cilantro.
Now Paneer Korma or Paneer Kurma is ready. Serve the Korma/Kurma hot with Chapati, Roti, Naan or Kulcha.