Palak Paratha is quite easy to prepare but it is quite tasty and nutritious. Palak or Spinach leaves carry a lots of nutrition value in them. Palak is a significant source of Iron, Folic Acid (type of Vitamin B), Vitamin A and Amino Acids. Spinach is helpful for digestion. The leaves are not very difficult to clean and chop and they take very less time to cook.
For preparing Palak Paratha, along with Palak leaves, I have also used Pudina or Mint leaves which provides extra taste and aroma to the Paratha. The only cooking involved in this preparation is cooking the Spinach or Palak leaves separately in a vessel with water (the Parathas themselves will be fried in a pan). You may also use Microwave for this. Raw Mint Leaves or Pudina leaves are ground directly with other ingredients listed below in a mixer grinder. The ground paste is mixed with the Wheat Flour to prepare dough. This method is easier to follow. You can also prepare Palak Paratha by adding chopped but uncooked Palak or Spinach leaves directly to the flour and mix with other ingredients.
I have used a bit of Rice Flour and Besan Flour to help make the Paratha extra soft and tasty. Parathas are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner and can be great lunch box dish for kids and adults alike. It provides the required nutrition while helping to meet our appetite.
- Palak or Spinach- 2 large bunches or 3 Cups
- Pudina or Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Green Chillies – 4
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Bengal Gram (Besan) Flour – 2 tsp
- Whole Wheat Flour – 2 cups
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 3 tsp
Time to Prepare : 10 min
How to Make Palak Paratha :
- Wash the Palak leaves and Mint leaves thoroughly.
- Boil Palak / Spinach leaves without adding the water to it for 5 min. You may also bake it in microwave oven for 2 min.
- Grind once the Mint leaves along with Ginger, Green Chilly, and Cumin seeds just to have the combination mixed well. Then add the boiled Palak to it and grind it all in the Mixer Grinder until it becomes fine paste.
- Pour the paste in a mixing bowl. Add Garam Masala, Lemon Juice, and Salt and stir it a bit. Then add the three flours mentioned above – Rice flour, Gram flour, Wheat flour and knead well and make it smooth dough as shown in the image. Add the whole wheat flour if the dough is too soft.
- Keep aside the dough for half an hour.
Serve Palak Paratha or Spinach Paratha with Coconut Chutney or Chutney powder mixed with Curd.