Palak Pulao/Pulav Ingredients:
- Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic cloves – 2-3 (optional)
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Palak / Spinach – 1 bunch or approx 2 cups
- Ananas Hoovu/Star Anise/Chakkra moggu – 1
- Coriander Leaves or Cilantro – 1/2 cup
- Red Chillies – 4
- Onion – 1/2
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
How to Prepare:
1) Chop the Onion lengthwise. Cut Tomatoes into small pieces. Keep aside.
Wash Rice, drain the water. Keep aside.
2) Wash the Palak/Spinach leaves well. Take a mixer grinder jar, add washed Palak and all other Pulav Paste Ingredients listed above and grind into a smooth paste.
3) Heat Oil in cooker container; add Garlic and fry for a min. Then add Onions and fry until the Onions look a bit transparent.
Now add chopped Tomatoes and fry for 2 min.
4) Add washed and drained Rice and fry until the Rice turns a bit thick and the color of the Rice turns pure white.
5) At this stage add ground paste and fry till the water content disappears. Now add 2 cups of water to this mixture and stir for a min. Add Salt and Lemon Juice and close the pressure cooker lid and allow the contents to cook.
When you hear the 3 cooker whistles, switch to low flame and continue to heat for about 2 minutes. Then switch off the flame and allow the cooker pressure to ease.
Now Palak Pulao/Pulav is ready to serve. You may serve Pulav with Raita or with plain curd.