Two of Oats recipes posted on this blog, Oats Breakfast and Oats Soup happen to be the most popular recipes of this blog. There have been several requests for more recipes involving Oats and Oats Upma happens to be one of the most popular in this genre. Oats Upma makes a great tasting, spicy yet reasonably healthy breakfast.
When I tried Oats Upma for the first time, I wasn’t expecting it to come out too well and taste too good. It is easy for the whole Upma mixture to become soggy, soft and tasting dull if care is not taken to see the whole preparation receives the right amount of water when heating in the pan (details below). Fortunately for me and others, it came out really well and my family loved it too.
And happily for some of us, it is also one of those recipes which falls under “Quick and Easy Recipes” bracket. It is quite easy to prepare even if one is in a hurry. Just cut the Onions and Green Chillies and you can have Oats Upma ready in just about 10-15 minutes. I found the taste of Oats Upma similar to that of Tempered Poha or Oggarane Avalakki.
Oats Upma Ingredients:
- Oats – 1 Cup (e.g., Quaker Oats)
- Finely Chopped Onion – 1
- Chopped Green Chillies – 1
- Oil – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal or Split Black Bean (Gram) / White Lentils – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
Time to Prepare: 15 min
How to Make Oats Upma :
1. Heat Oil in pan, add Mustard Seeds, once the Mustard Seeds splutter, add Urad Dal (White Lentils) and fry until they turn golden brown.
2. Now add Curry Leaves and chopped Green Chillies and fry for a minute. Then add chopped Onions and Turmeric Powder and fry until the Onions start to look a little transparent.
3. Add Salt and Sugar to the the above mixture and fry for a minute.
4. At this stage, add Oats to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes or till you smell a nice aroma and Oats turn light brown in color.
5. Now sprinkle about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to the above fried Oats mixture in the pan and mix well all the ingredients with a spatulla and fry till the Oats turn soft. Make sure to not add excess water to the Oats Upma as the whole mixture can become too soggy and Oats Upma may not taste as good as it should.
6. Add Lemon Juice to the Oats Upma and mix well. Garnish with Coriander Leaves / Cilantro.
Now Oats Upma is ready to serve. You can prepare Oats Upma for breakfast or this Oats dish can make a great evening snack too.