Nankatai is also known as Butter Biscuit or Benne Biscuthu in Kannada. Nankatai recipe is my cousin Vasudha’s contribution to my blogs. She usually bakes this Nankatai in her round oven. Those biscuits are so delicious that I just cannot stop at eating only one. I tried baking in my convection oven several times but flopped. At my latest attempt I became success to get the perfect Nankatai by keeping the prepared tray on a low grill (which comes with the oven) and baked as per the instruction given by them. I used Ghee instead of Butter in this recipe. In many blogs which I have read they use Butter also. I am yet to try with it.
These tea time cookies simply melts in mouth within no time. During my childhood days, father used to buy us these cookies from bakery. Also my aunt would prepare these yummy nankatai whenever we visited her in vacations. Once before my marriage I experimented baking using my mom’s OTG. The result was good. Here, I have explained the baking process using the Convection Oven as well as the OTG.
Preparation is very simple. Beat the Ghee and Sugar in a bowl with your hand. Add Baking Powder, Cardamom Powder and mix with Maida like chapati dough. Prepare medium sized balls and place them on a tray. Preheat the oven at 200 C for 10 min. Now adjust the temperature to 180 C, keep the tray in the oven and bake it for 15-17 min. So try and enjoy these favorite lip smacking cookies.
- Maida or All Purpose Flour – 2 Cups
- Ghee or Clarified Butter – 1 Cup
- Sugar – 3/4 Cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Time to Prepare: 20 min
Baking Time : 15-17 min each tray
How to Make Nankatai or Butter Biscuit :
- Powder the Sugar finely in a mixer grinder. Melt the Ghee if it is thick in a pan and keep aside.
- Transfer the Powdered Sugar into a large mixing bowl. Slowly one spoon at a time add the melted Ghee or Clarified Butter over it. Beat both Sugar-Ghee mixture with your hand for 8-10 minutes or until the mixture mixes well to look like a smooth paste.
- Once the Sugar-Ghee mixture is prepared, add Baking Powder, Cardamom Powder and beat for 5 more minutes.
- Once the beating process is completed, add Maida or All Purpose Flour to the bowl slowly in 3 parts. Mix the dough with your fingertips until everything comes together and kneed the dough like a chapati dough.
- Take a small amount of Nankatai dough, shape it into small ball and flatten slightly with your fingers. Repeat the process till the dough is made to several balls. Place the prepared balls on a greased baking tray with enough space in between each balls as they expand in size during baking.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C for 10 minutes and reduce the temperature to 180 C. Keep the tray in the oven and bake it for 15-17 min (Time taken totally depends on the Oven which you use). The balls starts to expand and breaks slightly on the top. Once baked the Cookies or Butter Biscuits will feel soft on touch. Remove the baked butter cookies or biscuits from the oven and cool on wire rack. Once cool down the Nankatai turns hard.
- If the Butter Biscuit dough remains, repeat the same process as said above in step 5 and 6. This time the dough turns bit hard on touch, as the Ghee starts to harden the dough. Just knead it once more to soften the dough before you keep for baking. Now the Nankatai or Butter Biscuits is ready. Once the Nankatai cools down, transfer them to an airtight container. Can be stored for more than 15 days.
Microwave Convection Oven Method:
As all of you know that I use Microwave Convection Oven to prepare Cookies and Cakes, I have explained the same here. So to bake the cookies or Nankatai in Microwave follow the below steps.
- Follow the same process until the step 5. The Microwave Oven comes with Teflon coated cookie tray. So there is no need to grease the plate. Just keep the prepared balls on a baking tray with proper gap.
- Preheat the Oven with a lower grill rack at 200 C for 10 min. I press the pre-heat button in my oven which takes 10 minutes to preheat the oven. Once the preheat is over, turn the oven Convection mode and set the temperature to 180 C. Keep the prepared tray on a low grill rack and bake it for 15-17 min.
- Once done, remove slowly from the tray and transfer them to wire rack. Cool the Butter Biscuits or Nankatai completely and store in an air tight container.