Kadale Kalu Usli or Chana Usli is served in temples here in Bangalore during Sankashtahara Chaturthi and also served specially during Navarathri season. Here I prepared Kadale Kalu Usli or Channa Usli by adding a few simple ingredients. This recipe is easy to prepare with less time, except for the preparation time involving soaking of the Chickpeas for 8 hours. I prepared Chana Usli once during Navarathri which comes in the month of October. It was served to everyone who were invited to our home for Bhajan. It came out well, everyone seemed to like the taste and the simplicity of this dish.
Chickpeas are good for health and they taste good when prepared by adding proper ingredients. Instead of using Black Chickpeas one can also use White Channa. To talk about Chickpeas, they are high in protein, with lots of fiber and low fat content in them. One can often have Usli as evening snacks too instead of having other fried snacks and can also feed to the children once they come home from schools. A cup of Kadale Kalu Usli or Chana Usli can be had while dieting too – it fills appetite with lots of protein in it and hence reducing intake of food.
- Black Chickpeas or Channa or Kadale Kalu – 1 Cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Green Chilli Paste – 1/2 tsp or Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar for taste
- Corinader Leaves / Cilantro
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- White Lentils or Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 1
- Curry Leaves
- Hing or Asafoetida – Pinch
Time to Prepare: 10-15 min
Soaking Time : 8 hrs
How to Make Kadale Kalu Usli or Chana Usli:
- Soak the Black Chickpeas overnight or for around 8 hrs. Cook the soaked Chickpeas in a pressure cooker by adding sufficient water with Salt and Turmeric Powder until you hear 3 whistles.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add White Lentils or Urad Dal. Once the Dal turns to golden in color, add broken Red Chillies followed by Curry Leaves. Also add Green Chillies (or Green Chilli Paste) and Hing or Asafoetida.
- Now add cooked Black Chikpeas or Channa to the pan with little Sugar and grated Coconut and mix well for 5-7 minutes. Garnish with Coriander Leaves.
Serve Kadale Kalu Usli or Chana Usli when hot or warm.
- One can also grind the Green Chillies with 2 Tbsp of Coconut and mix with other ingredients.
- I added a single Red dried Chilli to give the flavor and taste to the Usli, you can exclude the Red Chilli if you prefer so.