After a long time, I am posting a rice item on my website. It is simple and easy to prepare. I thought of preparing Jeera Rice a long time ago, but I could not find the perfect recipe for Jeera Rice. One of my friends Dr. Maheshwari gave the recipe, it was simple and very tasty. Jeera Rice is very bland and always serve this with simple Dal Fry.
The secret behind Jeera Rice is that the Jeera or Cumin Seeds must be added at the end, not immediately after heating the Oil. This retains the aroma of the Jeera in the Jeera Rice. Here, I prepared the Rice without using a cooker. It can also be prepared in a pressure cooker. I have explained both methods in the steps given below. Simply follow my recipe and enjoy eating Jeera Rice with Dal Fry!
Jeera Rice Ingredients:
- Basmati Rice or Sona Masoori Rice – 1 Cup
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 3 Tbsp
- Green Chilli – 4
- Chopped Onion – 1 Cup
- Curry Leaves
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp
Time to Prepare: 20-30 min
How to Make Jeera Rice :
- Cut the Onions and Green Chilies lengthwise and keep aside.
- Soak Basmati Rice for 1 hour and cook it in a cooker by adding 2 Cups of water to it until you hear 3 whistles; one can also cook in a separate vessel by adding sufficient water and cooking until it softens and straining the excess water through the strainer. Once the Rice is cooked, spread it on a plate and separate the grains.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add 1/4 cup of chopped Onion, and deep fry until it turns dark brown in color. Then, transfer it to a paper napkin to remove the excess Oil from it.
- Now add Curry Leaves to the heated Oil. Once it splutters, add remaining chopped Onions and fry until it turns golden in color. Add Green Chilies and fry for a minute.
- Now add Cumin Seeds or Jeera to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the Salt and Lemon Juice to the pan and mix well with spatula.
- Next, add the cooked Basmati Rice and mix well for 2-3 minutes. The Rice should blend well with the other ingredients.
Now the simple (yet yummy) Jeera Rice is ready to serve. Serve this with simple Dal Fry.
- One can use normal rice, like Sona Masoori, also. I prepared this Jeera Rice by adding 1/2 Cup Basmati and 1/2 Cup Sona Masoori Rice. Even this tastes good.
- Adding Cumin Seeds or Jeera at the end gives good taste and a nice aroma to the Jeera Rice. Do not add the Jeera once the Oil is heated. This method will ruin the aroma of the Jeera in the Rice.