My daughter Dhanya loves Soups especially the Tomato one. So I usually prepare the Tomato Soup in almost all seasons. She loves the tangy taste in it and prefers crispy Croutons for the topping. I usually prepare the croutons on a Tawa by roasting the Bread coated with Ghee on it, which I cut into cubes and serve. I do not prefer the deep fry method, as the bread absorbs more Oil/Ghee. I wanted to try making croutons in an Oven too and my search on the internet gave Sharmi’s Passion’s Homemade Croutons recipe which is awesome. Tried that method with Tomato Soup and all loved it at home. Here I have posted two methods: one is the Oven method and other Tawa method. I usually prepare it on Tawa as I have said above. In this method, the bread cubes do not get roasted too much like as in Oven, but better than deep frying as to avoid to consume more Oil/Ghee. You can serve this Homemade Croutons with soups and also with Salads.
Homemade Croutons Ingredients:
- Breads – 4 or 5 pieces
- Melted Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mixed Herbs – 3/4 tsp
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1 Tbsp
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Croutons in Oven:
- In a bowl, mix butter, Olive Oil, Pepper Powder, Mixed Herbs and Oregano. Mix well using Spoon.
- Then add Coriander Leaves, Salt and mix well.
- Cut the bread slices into small squares. Keep aside.
- Now add the bread cubes/squares to the bowl of mixture and mix well using two spoons in both hands. This method ensures that all the bread cubes are well coated.
- Once everything is mixed well, transfer them to a baking tray, see to it that all the bread pieces are separately spread on a tray.
- Preheat the Oven at 180 degree C for 10 minutes. Bake the Bread Cubes for about 10 to 15 minutes until it turns to golden in colour. Do not overcook. I have done in my convection oven, so it took me 15 minutes to complete.Cool them at room temperature and store in an airtight container.
How to Make Homemade Croutons On Tawa:
1. Heat the Tawa. Take the bread slices. Once the tawa becomes hot, reduce to low flame. Spread little Ghee on both sides of the bread slices. Place the bread slices on the hot tawa and roast.
2. Flip the bread slice once or twice and roast both the sides. Roast till the bread turns to brown in colour.
3. Cut them into cubes, dip roll them in the seasoning mixture bowl and serve it with Soup.
Deep Fry Method:
Cut the bread slices into Cubes and deep fry in Oil or Ghee till it turns to golden in colour. I usually do not prefer this method, as the bread absorbs more Oil or Ghee.
One can use Parsley in place of Coriander Leaves. I tried with Parsley, its aroma was amazing.