We usually prepare varieties of Dosa at home for the breakfast. We tasted this special variety of Dosa during my visit to my Co-writer Mansi’s wedding in Pune. We stayed in the hotel Krishna, where there was buffet for breakfast. They prepared this Green Mung bean dosa like paper dosa.
I and My MIL tried a lot at home to match the taste. Finally one day we did it. She usually prepares this Dosa by soaking all the items at night and grinds it in the morning before preparing the dosa. We could never get the taste of hotel. We thought of fermenting the batter before preparation. So last week we prepared it and this turned out good.
Some people do not use the Urad Dal in this Dosa, resulting in softness and a different taste of the Dosa. If the batter is properly fermented, we can prepare the thin Dosa. The heat of the Dosa tawa also should be low to medium. You can serve this with a tsp of Butter if the Dosa is spicy; else serve with normal Coconut Chutney or Chutney Powder. Try and enjoy the different and yet tasty Green Mung Bean Dosa.
Green Mung Bean Dosa Ingredients:
- Dosa Rice – 1 and 1/2 Cups
- White Lentils or Urad Dal – 1/4 Cup
- Split Green Mung Bean or Whole Green Mung Bean – 1/2 Cup
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Oil – for topping on Dosa
Soaking Time: 5 hours
Fermentation Time: 8 hours or Overnight
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
How to Make Green Mung Bean Dosa:
- Wash and soak Dosa Rice plus Urad Dal in one bowl and Green Mung Bean in another bowl for 4 to 5 hours.
- Grind all the soaked ingredients in a mixer grinder by adding Green Chillies, Ginger and Salt until it turns to a smooth paste by adding sufficient water to it and it should look like our normal dosa batter. Do not make batter too watery.
- Transfer the ground batter to a big vessel and leave it for fermentation overnight or 7 to 8 hours.
Preparation of Dosa:
- Heat the Dosa tawa or griddle, (I use normal Iron skillet) turn the flame to medium heat. Add a ladle full of Green Mung Bean Dosa batter and spread it like a thin paper Dosa. Sprinkle Oil and close the lid to cook properly.
- Remove the lid after 2 or 3 minutes and cook it on a low flame. The edges start to rise from the tawa and Dosa starts to brown. Reverse the dosa and cook for a while.
- Transfer to a plate with the help of flat ladle (Mogachikai) and serve with Chutney or Chutney powder. If the Dosa is very spicy, just enjoy it with butter.
- We usually use the split Green Mung Bean to prepare this Dosa. One can add the normal Bean also. It may take more time to soak, adjust the time of soaking.
- I like to ferment the dosa batter as it gives more taste and also we can prepare Dosa as thin as possible.