Not many people know to prepare a perfect Gobi Rice or Cauliflower Rice recipe. It takes extra time in cleaning the gobi to ensure no worms are there. Gobi rice is quite a lengthy procedure too. These reasons make this dish Gobi Rice a rare one. But I tell you, if you put in your time and energy in preparing this dish; this is an awesome dish.
The distinct taste of Gobi Rice will definitely bring you all praises. Make sure you cook the rice perfectly without forming lumps or paste like. The crisp fried Gobi should be thoroughly mixed with rice and this is possible only if the cooked rice is non sticky. Finally my compliments to you for trying this special special Gobi Rice.
Gobi Rice Ingredients:
- Sona Masoori Rice – 1 Cup
- Gobi or Cauliflower- 1 small
- Medium sized Onion – 1
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1/4 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chlli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chopped Coriander leaves / Cilantro
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – Deep frying
Batter Ingredients :
- Rice Flour – 2 tsp
- Corn Flour – 2 tsp
- Maida / All Purpose Flour – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Soda – 1 Pinch
- Red Food Color – 2 pinches (optional)
Time to Prepare: 30-40 mins
How to Make Gobi Rice:
1. Cut the Gobi or cauliflower into medium sized florets Wash once in normal water. Boil the water with Salt and Turmeric Powder. Add this Water to the Cauliflower florets. Leave this for 10 minutes. This is to ensure that florets are disinfected from germs or bacteria. Chop the Onions to lengthwise and slit or chop the Green chillies; keep everything ready.
2. Take a vessel and hand mix Corn flour, Rice flour, Maida, Soda, Red Food Color, (I didn’t add) Salt and Red Chilly Powder with water in it. Make the mixture thick like dosa batter.
3. Strain the water from the Gobi and transfer to the batter.
4. Meanwhile cook the Rice, either in a cooker or on a stove top method, whichever is convenient. Pressure cooker method : Add 1:2 water for 3 whistles and transfer to a plate once the pressure eases. Slowly separate the rice grains without breaking them.
5. Heat Oil in a pan. Take each one of the Gobi florets, dip it into the batter and drop on the heated oil to deep fry them as shown below. Transfer the fried Gobi florets to kitchen towels to remove the excess Oil in it.
6. In a pan heat the 2 tsp of oil, add chopped onion and fry the onions until they turn golden brown. Then add Ginger Garlic paste to it.
7. Then add chopped Green chillies and fry for a min. Then add Garam Masala Powder and saute for a minute.
8. Now add Pepper Powder, Red chilly powder and Turmeric Powder and mix them.
9. Add sufficient amount of Salt and stir once for a minute again. Then add cooked Rice to the pan.
10. Mix well the Rice with all the ingredients once. Now the Masala Rice is ready. Add fried Gobi florets to the rice mixture and mix it well.
11. Mix the fried Gobi florets well with Masala Rice mixture and finally add Coriander Leaves and mix well.
Serve the Gobi Rice or Cauliflower Rice with Tomato Sauce or Ketchup.