Variety of fruits like Banana, Apple, Mango, Sapota/Chikku etc. make a Fruit Salad. Fruit Salad can be as simple as mixing all the cut fruits, a few are served with Ice-cream, others with Yogurt, and some with Milk or Custard Powder. I have tried to avoid Citrus fruits like Orange or Sweet Lime, fruits like Papaya and Watermelon for the below recipe, though there are many Fruit Salad recipes involving them. Fruit Salad can be served as a dessert, consumed as part of a diet plan and some varieties can even act as appetizers. We Indians consume them mainly as dessert, after lunch or dinner. People from all age groups love to have Fruit Salad; children love them too. While they can be relished during all seasons, a few like Easy Fruit Salad are great for summer.
I have posted two Fruit Salad recipes earlier in my blog. This is my third and is due to a few questions I received asking me how to use Custard Powder for Fruit Salad. The original Fruit SaladI posted involved Maida or All Purpose Flour and requires additional time to prepare Milk paste. Using Custard Powder cuts down time. I have used Vanilla flavored Custard Powder which suits this Fruit Salad. We can also add more dry fruits like Figs, Dates, Raisins and Cashew nuts. Just prepare this Custard based Fruit Salad and enjoy this summer.
- Banana – 4-5
- Apple – 2
- Mango – 1 (Seasonal Fruit and hence optional)
- Sapota/Sapodilla (Chikku) – 2
- Pomegranate Seeds – 1/2 Cup
- Cashew nuts – 8-9
- Raisins (Kishmish) – 10
- Milk – 1/2 litre or 17 ounces or 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 and 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla flavour Custard Powder – 2 Tbsp
Time to Prepare: 20 min
How to Make Fruit Salad using Custard Powder:
1. Cut all the fruits listed – Mango, Banana, Apple, Sapota into small pieces and transfer to a bowl. Peal off Pomegranate, extract seeds and transfer them to the fruit bowl along with Cashew Nuts and Raisins. Sprinkle 1 tsp of Sugar immediately onto this fruit bowl and mix well with the fruits. Mixing with Sugar helps prevent the change of color you see in the cut fruits like Banana and Apple; maintains the fresh look of freshly cut fruits. Keep in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
2. Take Vanilla flavored Custard Powder in a small bowl. Add 2 Tbsp of boiled and then cooled Milk, mix well with spoon the paste formed without allowing lumps to be formed. Keep aside.
3. Boil the remaining Milk in a vessel. Add Sugar to the boiling Milk and stir continuously until the Sugar dissolves completely.
4. Now add the Vanilla flavored Custard paste from Step 2 to the boiling Milk and stir for 5 minutes until the whole mixture turns thick. Remove from the flame. Make sure you leave the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
5. Now add the fruits mixture from Step 1 to the Custard paste and mix well.
Fruit Salad using Custard Powder is now ready. If needed, keep this mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes and serve the Fruit Salad chilled.