I am a big fan of Eggless Shortbread Cookies. While goggling for these types of cookies I found one in “Sharmi’s Passion”. Her way of explaining step wise with photos is nice and she has given the link for Joy of Baking. You can watch the video in which she has explained each and every step clearly in that website.
I tried this simple Shortbread Cookies with 5 simple ingredients. I prepared these cookies many times and every time these cookies turned out simply superb. These Eggless Shortbread Cookies may be a little hard compared to Nankatai. This is so because we are not using Baking Powder or Baking Soda while preparing. The specialty of these Shortbread Cookies is that it will not spread much while baking.
The method is pretty simple. Start with beating the Butter with Powdered Sugar. Once beating is over, add Vanilla Essence. Finally add Salt, Maida and prepare dough like the Chapati dough. Keep the Cookie dough in the refrigerator for an hour. Remove and roll it on a butter sheet and cut it into desired shape. Bake the shaped cookie dough in a preheated oven for 15-17 min with 180 degree C. Detailed steps are below. Just try and enjoy these Short Bread Cookies.
Eggless Shortbread Cookies Ingredients:
- All Purpose Flour or Maida – 2 cups or 260 Gms
- Unsalted Butter – 1 Cup or 226 Gms (Room Temperature)
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 Cup or 60 Gms (I added 1/4 Cup extra Powdered Sugar)
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
Time to Prepare: 15 min
Baking Time: 15-17 min for each tray
How to Make Eggless Shortbread Cookies:
- In a bowl, add Maida or All Purpose Flour and Salt. Whisk once so that the Maida and Salt blend properly with each other.
- In another big bowl, add Powdered Sugar and Unsalted Butter. Beat with the help of the whisk until smooth and fluffy.
- Now add the Vanilla Essence to the Butter Sugar mixture and quick stir once.
- At this stage; to this mixture, add the Maida plus Salt mixture from Step 1 above one spoon at a time, mixing it to form a soft dough as you would do for Chapati dough. If the mixture of the Cookie dough does not come together, add few drops of Milk to form a proper dough.
- Flatten the dough and wrap it with a plastic wrap. Keep this to chill in refrigerator for at least an hour or until firm. This process of chilling the dough helps the Cookies to not spread while baking.
- After an hour remove the Cookie dough from the refrigerator. Sprinkle little flour on a clean flat surface or Chapati roller or on a butter sheet. Roll out the dough to form a big circle of 1/4 inch thickness. Now cut the dough into desired shapes with the help of lightly floured cookie cutter. Collect the remaining scraps and roll again and repeat the process until you finish the dough.
- Now transfer the prepared Cookies on a butter sheet and refrigerate those for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for 10 min on 180 degree C. Remove the shaped cookies from refrigerator and transfer them to a baking tray. Keep this baking tray arranged with cookies in the preheated oven. Bake at the same temperature for 12-15 min or until the edges turn golden in color. I have convection oven, so I usually keep the prepared cookies on non-stick tray and bake the cookies. I preheat the oven in 200 degree C and reduce the temperature to 180 degree C for baking the cookies. It usually takes 15-17 minutes for the first batch. Next batches it takes minimum 15 min.
- Soon after the cookies are baked, remove from the tray and cool it on a wire rack. These Short Bread Cookies feel soft on touch, but once cooled they turn crisp.
Now the Shortbread Cookies are ready. Transfer these Cookies into an air tight container after they cool down completely.
- I added more Sugar and reduced the Salt content, as my family likes more sweetness in the cookies. You can vary this depending on your taste.
- One can do the variations to these cookies by reducing 1/2 cup Maida and replacing that with 1/2 Cup of Corn flour. These cookies also give more taste and crispiness to the cookies.
- We can decorate these cookies with sugar glitters or you can dip these cookies in melted Chocolate also.