The credit for providing the recipe of Eggless Custard Powder Cake recipe goes to Aparna from My Diverse Kitchen. I actually tried this cake twice. The second time Cake came out really well – fluffy and taste wise; everyone liked it at home.
The Eggless Custard Powder Cake has very few ingredients and it is quite easy to prepare too. For this dish, I just followed Aparna’s instructions, but you may add dry fruits like Walnuts, Pistachios, Tutti Fruity etc. to make it taste and look better. As always, I bake my Cake in Microwave Convection Mode oven since I do not have an OTG and I am quite happy with my Microwave Oven.
I have provided some tips at the end of the recipe for obtaining better tasting, better looking Cake. Many of the tips are suggestions for preparation of batter, baking and were provided by my co-sister Manasi.
- All Purpose Flour or Maida – 1-1/2 Cup
- Vanilla Flavored Custard Powder or Corn Flour – 3/4 Cup
- Powdered Sugar – 3/4 Cup
- Baking Powder – 2 and 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted Butter (at room temperature) – 3/4 Cup (150 gms)
- Milk – 1 Cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Time to Prepare: 1 hr 20 min
Time to Bake : 50 min to 1 hr
How to Make Eggless Custard Powder Cake :
- Grease the Cake tin with Butter well and dust with a tsp of Maida all over tin uniformly.
- Mix and sift THROUGH A SIEVE All Purpose Flour or Maida, Vanilla Flavored Custard Powder or Corn Flour (I used Custard Powder) and Baking Powder thrice before starting the beating process. This helps mixing these ingredients properly.
- In a bowl, have powdered Sugar and Unsalted Butter and beat with the help of beater or with a whisk until you get smooth paste of Butter-Sugar mixture.
- Now add the sifted Flour plus Baking Powder Mixture from step 2 to the beat Butter-Sugar paste IN 3 INCREMENTS. While beating, slowly add the Milk once and then add the Flour mixture and continue the process and beat until you get a pouring consistency of the batter, add Lemon Juice and mix well.
- Now the Eggless Custard Powder Cake batter is ready. Pour the Batter ONCE AT A TIME without disturbing the tin.
- Keep the lower rack grill inside the Microwave Convection Oven and preheat the oven in Convection mode for about 9-10 min by setting the temperature to 180 C . It takes about 10 minutes to preheat with the Samsung Microwave oven. If you are going to use OTG, preheat the OTG for 10 minutes at temperature set as 180 C.
- Now place the Cake tin with batter on the Grill and bake it for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of baking, check once if the Cake is baked fully with the help of a toothpick or with a knife. If baked well, the toothpick or the knife inserted and removed from Cake preparation should come out clean without the Cake contents sticking to it. If you see the Cake sticking to the toothpick/knife, continue baking for another 10 minutes. Baking may vary depending on the type and make of the oven you use. It took me about 50 minutes of heating in Convection Mode in Microwave to bake the cake.
- Once the Eggless Custard Powder Cake is baked, keep the tin it ON WIRE RACK and allow to cool completely. Cooling may happen in about 2 hours time. Once cooled, TURN OVER THE TIN and remove the Cake from the tin. Now the Eggless Custard Powder Cake is ready. Cut the cake as desired by you and serve.
- Try using different flavor of Custard Powder to get different flavored cake. One can replace Vanilla Flavored Custard Powder with Corn Flour. When using Corn flour, use Vanilla Essence or other essence for flavor of your choice.
- My co-sister Manasi suggested me to keep CAKE TIN ON THE GRILL RACK in Microwave convection mode oven and this helps the cake to bake properly with lesser time to bake. The sides and the top of the cake can turn light golden brown in color.
- She provided me with one more tip – as you add ingredients one by one, beat at least 2 minutes for each ingredient added. For example, beat Butter and Sugar for 2 minutes and after adding flour mixture again beat for 2 min and continue the same process until you add all the ingredients. This helps to avoid the air bubbles forming in the batter.
- Once the batter poured NO NEED TO TAP THE CAKE TIN, if you beat properly. When I followed my co-sister’s instructions for preparing Eggless Dry Fruits Cake with Curd, the cake came out fluffy and soft. So I thought of suggesting this method for Eggless Custard Powder Cake too.
- Microwave the piece of Custard Powder Cake for 10 seconds before serving. This tastes even more better.