One of my relative gave a pack of organic Cornflakes to me to use it. When I was thinking what to do with it, I got an idea about preparing Cornflakes Mixture. I did not want to deep fry the Cornflakes as it was too much in quantity and it takes lot of time to deep fry. Also I felt it has lot of calories. So I searched in Google site, found some good images and finally selected Cook with Smile by Smitha Kalluraya. (Later we both met in Magnum Event). I found her recipe is simple without deep frying the Cornflakes in Oil. So I finally choose her recipe. Here I have added few more ingredients to the recipe as I love little sweetness in the mixture. I have added little Powdered Sugar and Powdered Roasted Bengal Gram to the Cornflakes Mixture. It really turned awesome and within few days it got finished. My co-writer Manasi loved it a lot.
We can call it as low fat evening snacks as it has very less Oil in it. Preparation is very easy once everything is ready in hand. Just add all the ingredients one by one and mix everything. Within 15 mins we can finish the preparation. The Dry Coconut pieces gives good taste to the mixture and the crispness of the Curry Leaves enhances the aroma in it. While mixing the Cornflakes mixture Curry leaves needs to be crushed as it gives good taste to the mixture. Be it kitty party, get together, potluck or just at home for teatime snack; Cornflakes Mixture is best and handy to serve. So try and enjoy the Cornflakes mixture especially in rainy and winter seasons.
Cornflakes Mixture Ingredients:
- Instant Cornflakes – 300 grams
- Oil – 3-4 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Ground Nuts – 2 Tbsp
- Fried Bengal Gram or Putani – 2 Tbsp
- Desiccated Coconut or Dry Coconut – Cut into small thin pieces
- Curry Leaves – 20-25 leaves
- Raisins – 10-12
- Cashew Nuts – 10-15 (Cut into Half)
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Chat Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Amchoor Powder or Dry Mango Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Powdered Sugar – 1 tsp
- Powdered Roasted Bengal Gram or Putani – 2 tsp
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
How to Make Cornflakes Mixture:
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once they splutter, add Hing and Curry Leaves. Fry till Curry Leaves turns slightly crisp.
- Next add Dry Coconut pieces and fry till they turn to golden in colour. Then add Groundnuts, fry for few minutes or till its colour changes. Then add Cashew Nuts followed by Fried Bengal Gram or Putani.
- Mix everything once, then add Raisins, fry till it becomes soft and bulged. Now add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Chat Masala Powder, Amchoor Powder and Salt. Mix everything on low flame, as the other ingredients should not get burnt.
- Now add, Cornflakes to the above mixture and mix everything on medium flame. Once everything is mixed, add Powdered Sugar (This gives good taste to the mixture) and Powdered Bengal Gram (This also gives taste and also you will not feel oily in the mixture); mix well
- Reduce the flame and mix the Cornflakes Mixture until Cornflakes become crisp. Remove from flame and allow it to cool. After some time the mixture becomes crisp. Now store it in an airtight container. You can store it for 15 days up to month if stored properly.
- I feel the normal Cornflakes are good to prepare the mixture than what we get in packets. Search in big department stores for the normal Cornflakes to prepare the mixture.
- You can add more Groundnuts, Cashew Nuts and Raisins. There is no restriction to adding these ingredients to the mixture. It all depends on ones taste. These ingredients can be a plus or minus in the mixture.