Chana Dal is called Kadale bele in Kannada. Chana Dal Usli is also called as Chana Dal Sundal. In different parts of India people call it in different names. Usli is prepared during Rama Navami and Navaratri especially in Southern parts of India. During Navarathri festival, people who keep dolls and do pooja; invite children and give different types of usli on each of the 9 days as GOMBE BHAGINA along with sweets.
Even otherwise, when relatives or friends visit us during Navaratri, we serve them different varieties of Usli. With less ingredients needed, it is very simple to make this usli. Preparation consists of cooking and seasoning the Chana Dal. Chana Dal Usli is very healthy because this is high in protein and rich in fiber. We can have it as snacks too. I am sure once you prepare and taste this nutritious usli, you will be willing to do this often.
Chana Dal Usli Ingredients:
- Chana Dal – 1 Cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 8-10
- Red Chillies – 3
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida or Hing – Generous pinch
- Powdered Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Preparation Time: 15 min
How to Make Chana Dal Usli :
- Wash the Chana Dal twice in water. Cook the dal in pressure cooker directly by adding sufficient water for 2 to 3 whistles. Ensure that the Chana Dal should not be mushy or hard. Strain water and take only the cooked Chana Dal.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and add Mustard Seeds. Once it splutters, add Urad Dal and fry it to golden colour. Now add Asafoetida, broken Red Chillies and Curry Leaves; fry for few seconds.
- Once the seasoning is over, add cooked Chana Dal, Turmeric Powder to the seasoned pan and mix well once. Then add Salt, Jaggery and mix everything well. Fry occasionally for few minutes and remove from the flame. Finally add the grated coconut and mix well. Serve warm or hot.
You can add a tea spoon of fresh Lemon Juice extract at the end and also garnish with Coriander Leaves.