I always get attracted to the colour of any dish. Even the sweet smell that floats in air is a trance. When I make Carrot Kheer, it pleases me a lot. With very less effort if you get very good result, what more do we want in cooking. This kind of satisfaction I feel whenever I prepare Carrot Kheer. I will be relaxed when I serve high nutritional food to my family. Be it a festival or guest coming for dinner, I have this Carrot Kheer in my list of easy to do recipes. Carrot Payasam or Kheer is an easy to prepare but uncommon dessert/pudding which provides health, nutrition while tasting great. Now one more thing about this dish; Carrot Kheer tastes extremely great when it is cold.
Carrot Payasam Ingredients:
- Chopped Carrot – 4 cups
- Sugar – 3-4 Tbsp
- Milk – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cashew Nuts – 7-8
- Raisins (Kishmish) – 10
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 tsp
How to Prepare:
- Cook the chopped Carrot in 1/2 cup of water in a pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles or in Microwave oven for about 8 min.
- Leave the cooked Carrot to cool for about 15-20 min. Once cooled, grind cooked Carrot in a mixer grinder to prepare a smooth paste.
- In a frying pan, fry Cashew Nuts and Raisins in Ghee. Keep aside.
- In a pan or in vessel, add Carrot paste and Milk and boil them for about 10-15 min. Add Sugar and stir until the Sugar dissolves.
- Add Cardamom Powder and fried Cashew Nuts and Raisins (from Step 3) and stir for 2 min.
- Remove from the flame and leave the Carrot Payasam or Kheer to become cool. Serve the Carrot Payasam or Kheer when it is cold.
You may keep the payasam/kheer in a refrigerator. Carrot Payasam gives great taste when chilled.