Cabbage Pulav is not very common but tastes surprisingly good and that is even if Raita is not available. But in my family all love raita so I usually prepare it. I always love to have this Cabbage Pulao without Raita. This easy to prepare rice dish takes about 30 mins to prepare and can be had for dinner/lunch. Compared to your regular Pulav, Cabbage Pulao requires less ingredients and less masala/spice to make it taste good.
I got this rice recipe from my cousin Ramya. I tried it and it was received well by my family.
Recipe is simple, Just add whole masalas to the Oil, add Chillies followed by Onions and Ginger Garlic Paste. Then add Cabbage and Tomatoes and Salt. Mix with Water and cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and once pressure releases finally add Lemon Juice.
Cabbage Pulao/Pulav Ingredients :
- Rice – 1 cup
- Chopped Cabbage – 1 cup
- Chopped Onion – 1 medium sized
- Chopped Tomato – 1 small sized
- Chopped Green Chillies – 2
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves or Lavang – 2
- Cinnamon or Dalchini – 1/4 inch
- Pepper – 3-4
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Preparation Time: 30 mins
How to Make Cabbage Pulao/Pulav :
1. Wash Rice with water. Pour out the water completely – rice should stay as dry as possible.
2. Crush or pound Cinnamon or Dalchini, Cloves, Cardamom and Pepper. Keep aside. Heat Oil in a cooker container.
3. Add Jeera. Once the Jeera seeds splutter, add crushed ingredients from step 2 and fry for a minute.
4. Now add chopped Onions and Green Chillies and fry for a min. Fry until the Onions turn to translucent.
5. At this stage, add Ginger Garlic paste and fry till the Onions are cooked well.
6. Add Cabbage, sugar and fry for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add Tomato and cook them until they turn soft.
8. Add washed and drained Rice to the cooker container (with contents from step 3 above) and fry for a min. Now add 2 cups of water to the mixture and stir well.
9. Then add Salt and mix properly. Close the pressure cooker lid and allow the contents to cook. When you hear the 3 cooker whistles, switch to low flame and continue to heat for about 2 minutes. Then switch off the flame and allow the pressure of the cooker to ease.
10. Open the cooker lid, leave it open for 2 min and then add Lemon Juice to the Pulav/Pulao. Mix well.
Cabbage Pulav/Pulao is now ready to serve.
Note: For Cabbage Pulao I have not used Turmeric powder, hence you can see that the Pulav color is creamish. You can try adding Turmeric Powder to this rice dish.