Pakodas can serve as a great evening snack. The recipe is simple and preparation is easy. Serve Cabbage Pakoda hot with Chutney or with Tomato Sauce.
Cabbage Pakoda Ingredients:
- Cabbage – 1 cup
- Potato – 1 small sized
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Besan or Bengal gram flour – 3 tsp
- Finely chopped Green Chillies – 2-3 or Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Hing or Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
How to Prepare:
1) Clean and chop Cabbage.
2) Boil and mash Potato; keep aside. The Potato should be 1/4 of the quantity of Cabbage. Here, we use Potato just to provide the binding; to help hold the Pakoda ingredients together.
3) In a frying vessel, fry the chopped Cabbage in 1/2 tsp of Oil for a minute and remove from the flame. Add mashed potato, Hing/Asafoetida, Rice flour, Besan, chopped Green Chillies (or Red Chilli Powder), Salt and prepare thick dough (add as little water as possible while preparing dough to help keep the dough thick). Keep aside for 15 min.
4) Heat the Oil in a frying pan. Take a small ball from the dough, press lightly with finger to get the Pakoda shape. Drop the Pakoda in the Oil and deep fry until it turns to golden brown.
Now Cabbage Pakoda is ready to serve. You can have Cabbage Pakoda with Chutney or with Tomato Sauce.
While frying the Pakoda or any other snacks like Bonda/Bajji, cook them first in a high flame for 2 min and then in a medium flame for a min and again in high flame before removing the Pakoda/Bonda/Bajji from the oil. This helps to cook Pakoda contents well.