Cabbage is another vegetable which contains Vitamin C, Fibre and Beta-Carotene. With these contents and additional chemicals, Cabbage is said to have the power of DNA-repair in cells, blocking the growth of cancerous cells. Varieties of sabzi or curries can be prepared using Cabbage. I have already posted two varieties of Cabbage Sabzis in my blogs. I adopted this recipe from Sharmi’s Passion; she used some whole masalas in preparing this curry, which gives mild masala taste. I have used Fennel seeds which gives good aroma and taste to the curry. With this I have also added Garlic Pods. If you do not like the garlic pods you can use the paste instead. Cook this SALUTARY Dish Cabbage Dry Curry and serve with Chapati or Rice.
- Chopped Cabbage – 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- Cloves – 1
- Cardamom – 1
- Small Onion – 1
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Curry leaves – 7 to 8
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Time to Prepare: 20 min
How to Make Cabbage Dry Curry :
1. Chop the Onion into small size pieces. Grind the Coconut and Fennel Seeds in the mixer grinder by adding sufficient water and prepare fine paste.
2. Heat Oil in a pan; put Cinnamon, Cloves and Cardamom into it. Fry these ingredients for a minute. Then add Curry leaves followed by Garlic, Onion and sauté until the Onion turns to golden in colour.
3. Now add chopped Cabbage, Turmeric Powder and fry all the ingredients for few minutes. Once the Cabbage starts to drain out the water, add 1.4 Cup of water and close the lid. Cook the Cabbage till soft. It may take 6-7 minutes.
4. After this; add the Salt, Red Chilli Powder and mix well. Also add the grounded coconut-fennel paste. Mix all the ingredients once and fry until the Cabbage absorbs the moister till it looks dry. Switch off the flame and transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve Cabbage Dry Curry with plain rice or Chapati.
- Do not crush the spices and fry in Oil, Curry turns more spicy and strong.
- You can chop or shred the Cabbage leaves, as per your taste.
- You can use the garlic paste instead of Garlic pods.