Broken Wheat Payasam is a favorite of many due to its unique taste. The Wheat and Jaggery combination makes this a healthy recipe. Broken Wheat Payasam is a popular dish served in marriages and other happy occasions including festivals.
Couscous is actually a traditional dish of North Africa, where they make this by crushing Durum wheat. Here in India we get the broken wheat which is grown in most parts of Northern states. Since broken wheat is easily available in the market, we can make varieties using it. Broken wheat Payasa has been done in our household for generations. The ingredients required for making this Payasa is very few and handy. The process is also very simple. It requires very less time to prepare. So when you need to cook variety of food for any occasion you can choose to make this sweet. It is highly nutritious too with all the fiber and proteins in it.
- Broken Wheat / Couscous – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Coconut Milk – 2 cups
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee or Clarified butter – 2 tsp
- Cashew Nuts – 8-10
- Raisins or Kishmish – 8-10
Time to Prepare: 30 mins
How to Make Broken Wheat Payasam :
1. Cook the Broken Wheat in a pressure cooker with 3-4 cups of water till you hear 4 whistles.
2. Once pressure eases, transfer the cooked Broken Wheat into a vessel. Add Jaggery and stir continuously until the Jaggery melts and mixes well with the cooked Broken Wheat. Keep aside.
3. Add Cardamom Powder and Coconut Milk to the above mixture and cook for 5 min.
4. Heat Ghee in a frying pan, add Raisins/Kishmish and Cashew Nuts and fry till Cashews turn golden brown. Add the fried ingredients to the Payasam mixture from Step 2 and stir well.
Now Broken Wheat / Couscous Payasam is ready to serve. One can have this Payasam hot or cold.