Bitter Gourd is said to be very very nutritious vegetable. Some people dislike it due to its bitter taste. But if you use bitter gourd in the form of curry you will not feel the bitterness as it would be blended with the sweetness of jaggery and sourness of tamarind along with spices. Also this recipe is too simple to prepare. Keep in mind to buy tender bitter gourds. Remove all the seeds as they are indigestible. Keep the tamarind paste ready before you start cooking. In my house everyone loves this dish and I make it once in 15 days. Serve this Bitter Gourd Curry with plain rice or Chapathi.
Bitter Gourd Curry Ingredients:
- Bitter Gourd – 2
- Tamarind Paste – 1/2 Cup
- Jaggery – 2 Tbsp
- Curry Leaves
- Mustard Seeds
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Sambar Powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
How To Make:
- Wash and split open the Bitter Gourd with a knife to remove the seeds. Now cut the Bitter Gourd into small pieces.
- Grind Coconut and Sambar powder in a mixer grinder with some water to prepare a smooth Sambar paste.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan and follow the steps below sequentially –
- Add mustard seeds. Wait until the mustard seeds splutter. Add Curry leaves. Fry curry leaves for a minute.
- Add cut Bitter Gourd pieces. Fry in low flame for about 2 min and close the pan with lid to cook for 7-8 min till Bitter Gourd pieces are cooked properly and turn a bit soft.
- Add Tamarind paste, Jaggery and Salt and fry for couple of minutes.
- Add the Sambar paste (see above) to the mixture and boil for 2-3 minutes. If needed add water to the Gravy and boil for some more minutes.
- Remove from the flame. The Bitter Gourd curry is now ready to be served.
This gravy curry can have with Chapathi and also with plain rice. This is a good mixture of bitter, sweet and sour tastes and hence is one of my family favorite curries.