Bindi fry or the Okra masala is very popular in north India. A North Indian Thaali is mostly containing a bindi fry in it. Its taste is spicy, tangy and mushy. Always select tender okras to prepare this dish. When you split the okras, check whether it is good. Some might be worm infested. Never use water while cooking bindi as it absorbs water very quickly spoiling the dish with a lot of stickyness. Instead use oil to fry and see to it that it does not stick to the pan. As you make in other curries use chopped onion and tomatoes with different powdered spicies to get a lovable bindi fry.
Okra/Bhindi Fry or Bhindi Masala Ingredients:
- Ladies Finger or Okra or Bhindi – 1/4 kg
- Ginger + Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya/Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 1
- Onion – 1
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Curd – 2 Tbsp
- Fresh Cream – 1 Tbsp
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
Time to Prepare: 30 min
How to Make Bhindi Fry Bhindi Masala or Okra Fry :
1. Cut the Bhindi/Okra into 2 inch pieces. Chop the Tomatoes and Onions into cube size pieces. Keep aside.
2. In a frying pan, add Bhindi/Okra pieces, pour Curd and fry well until the stickiness of the Bhindi/Okra disappears. Then add 1 Tbsp of Oil and fry the Bhindi until it turns soft. Transfer the fried Bhindi/Ladies Finger to a bowl.
3. In the same pan used for frying Bhindi/Okra, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil. Add Onions and fry for a minute. Then add Ginger+Garlic paste, chopped Tomatoes and cook for nearly about 3-4 min until Tomatoes turn soft.
4. At this stage, add all the dry powders – Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Dhaniya/Coriander Powder and Garam Masala Powder to the pan. Ensure that these powders blend well with the ingredients in the pan by mixing the contents well for a min.
5. Now add fried Bhindi/Okra from Step 2. Add Salt and fry for 8-10 minutes by closing the lid of the pan.
6. Remove from the flame. Garnish with Fresh Cream and Coriander Leaves/Cilantro.
Okra Fry/Bhindi Fry/Bhindi Masala is now ready to serve with Chapati or Roti.