Baby Potatoes is the most lovable vegetable. I bought some Baby Potatoes last week and stored in kitchen cupboard. My daughter adores this vegetable for whom I thought of preparing one good recipe out of it, so searched online. With a flow of links on google, found one attractive recipe with a good photo in Tickling Palates by Radhika. I found it very easy and prepared it with few of my own additions.
My thoughts suggested adding Jeera Powder and Dhaniya Powder to the recipe which enhances the taste. These two ingredients were not mentioned in the original recipe. It turned out good. I felt by adding Lemon Juice gives more sour taste to the Baby Potato Curry so I do not suggest it. Everyone liked this Baby Potato Curry at my home.
Preparation is easy. Cook the Baby Potatoes. Mix all the Marinade ingredients in Curd. Blend cooked potatoes in it and rest it for minimum 3 hours. Lastly fry that in Oil. We all liked it with Chapati than the plain rice. Try and enjoy the simple yet tasty Baby Potato Curry.
Baby Potato Curry or Fry Ingredients:
- Baby Potatoes – 1/2 kgs
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnish (optional)
- Fresh Curd / Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Jeera Powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Kasuri methi – 1/4 tsp
Soaking Time: 3 hours
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
How to Make Baby Potato Curry or Fry :
1. Clean the Baby Potatoes in water. Prick them with the help of knife or with fork. Pressure cook with sufficient water for 3-4 whistles. Once the pressure eases remove them and peel the skin. Keep aside.
2. In a bowl, add all the Marinade ingredients which are listed above. Whisk it with the help of whisk so that all the ingredients blend well. Now add the cooked Baby Potatoes and mix well once. Refrigerate it for 3 hours.
3. Heat Oil in a flat bottom pan. Add the Marinated Potatoes with the Curd mixture and cook over high flame for about 5 minutes. Now the ingredients start to thicken separating the Oil which floats on top.
4. Simmer the flame now and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Check once in a while and gently sauté with the help of a spatula taking care not to break the Baby Potatoes.
5. At this stage, the gravy part would have dried up and the Baby Potatoes being well coated. Finally garnish with Coriander Leaves.
Serve Baby Potato Curry or Fry with plain Rice or with Chapati.
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder gives bright colour to the Curry.
- In original recipe Lemon Juice was added. I felt this would add more sourness, so I omitted that. If you choose to use it, add the Lemon Juice in the marinade process itself.