As I said in my earlier blogs; my daughter demands for different Parathas each day. So I tried this simple, tasty and easy Aloo Paratha with very less ingredients. This recipe is from my mother. She always used to prepare this Aloo Paratha for us as breakfast dish. I really wonder now, she used to prepare almost 40 Parathas for all of us at home. We used to take to our school and also in collage days for lunch break. She used to serve this Potato Paratha with simple coriander chutney.
Potato or aloo always taste good especially when stuffed in Paratha. I can say Aloo Paratha is the King of all the Parathas. We never get as good taste of Aloo Paratha in other stuffed or non-stuffed Parathas. I didn’t use any masala powders in this recipe. I have explained here with stepwise recipe how to roll the parathas in two different ways. So go ahead and try out simple Aloo Parathas. Check for my old post Potato-Peas Paratha for variety of stuffing.
Aloo Paratha Ingredients:
- Wheat Flour – 1 and 1/2 Cups
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Potatoes or Aloo – 6
- Onions – 2
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Resting of dough: 30 minutes
How to Make Aloo Paratha
1. Cook the Potatoes in cooker for 4-5 whistles. Once it is slightly cool, peel the outer covering and mash it or grate the potatoes. Grating the Potatoes helps to remove the lumps in it.
2. Meanwhile finely chop the Onions.
3. Take a bowl; add Wheat flour, Salt, Oil and water by mixing well all these items to make the Paratha dough. The dough consistency must not be too hard or not too soft, else you cannot roll the stuffed Paratha.
4. Heat Oil in a pan; add finely chopped Onions, Turmeric Powder and satue till the water content evaporates. Then add Red chilli Powder, Salt and mix well once.
5. Switch off the flame and then mix the mashed or grated Potatoes to the onion mixture and blend everything well with the help of a spatula. Leave the stuffing to cool for few minutes. Now the stuffing for the Paratha is ready.
6. Make equal size balls from the paratha dough and the Potato stuffing. Roll the paratha dough into small thick rounds like poori and keep the Potato stuffing. Close the Potato stuffing by gathering all the sides. Roll it into thick Parathas by dusting with Wheat flour.
7. Or one can choose the other method as in the image. Take two equal size of balls from the dough, roll it into small pooris, and keep stuffing in the middle of one poori and close the stuffing by another. Press all the sides and roll it like normal Paratha.
8. Preheat the tawa, place the rolled stuffed Potato Paratha and cook both sides properly by slightly pressing with the help of spatula till the slight brown dots appear. Spread generous amount of Ghee on Paratha (optional).
9. Remove the hot Potato Paratha from tawa and repeat the same process for more parathas. Serve with your favourite chutney, Pickle or with plain curd.